Wednesday, September 29

A morbid taste for bones

The booktape/housecleaning was a hit. The main floor of our house is tidy and more respectable then I've seen it in ages. The story was good too :)

There is a limited selection of books on tape available at the library, but I noticed that they have a whole series that I've been eyeing for a long time, just never justified buying. I thought of you Sean when I grabbed the tape. If you haven't already heard of the series, you should look into it...It's definitely your kind of author. It's a bit wordy in the discripitive, medieval style, but I like that.

The one I listened too yesterday "A Morbid Taste for Bones" reminded me of a movie which Sean Connery and Christian Slater starred in back in the mid 80's. "In the Name of the Rose"
The characters are very similar, and I wouldn't be surprised if the movie was based on one of the books.

The main character, Brother Cadfael, is an ex-crusader in the 12th century. He fought in many big name battles, beside some big name people, but now that the crusade is over he decides to take up the cloth and live out his life in peaceful repentance as a Benedictine monk. Only to find himself surrounded by some big sinners in the brotherhood. So file all of that, and add a splash of Colombo and a dash of Sean Connery style wryness. He's a pretty neat character.

A murder mystery on the medieval welsh moors! Gloomy and gothic and fun for housecleaning to :)

~~~

P.S. There is a very good chance that page 2 of Flotsam will be up today. ... And you thought we had forgotten about you ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remind me tonight (assuming we're gaming) to give you the links to some of the sites I check...

They'll list things like audio books that you can download! Not that that will help you immediately, but once downloaded, you can burn them to cd's and listen to them too ;) HUGE selection of stuff as well :)

Shaymus

Sylentlucidity said...

That would be cool :) I was just checking out EBay, and the pricing on audiotapes are a little optomistic on thier part. I would like to get a recording of "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". Classic listening material!

Sylentlucidity said...

And of course we are gaming :) Not Kevin though, he's not allowed back until we've finished the dungeon :(