I had a pretty good weekend. Got lots of work done around the house, spent some good quality time with Liam, looked after Dan's 2nd cousin Ethan...
It was a good weekend.
All of it was overshadowed by Saturday's front page story.
~~~
Randy and April came over on Friday night to play games, and since they were both getting ready for graveyard shifts we decided to stay up with them later then usual. Dan and I both delivered the newspapers at around 1:30am and got it done in about 20 mins...even if I was in tears for half of it.
Maybe I was just tired, but usually stories like this don't effect me this much. I add it to my mental tally of "Atrocities that happen far, far away from here" and then move on. Dwelling on acts of war just make me feel helpless.
But the picture on the front page...
A little round face. Eyes closed. Blood on it's cheeks. The poor mother didn't look like she really realized it yet.
~~~
It's so easy to believe that I live at the end of the world here on the island. It's so far away from all of the violence. I'd like to continue thinking that this is a safe place to live, but the truth is that the world is becoming less safe in general.
See? There's that helpless feeling.
~~~
My family is so precious to me.
I grieve for the victim families and the survivors. Nobody desearves to be treated like this, just to make a statement. I can see how this cycle will go now. If I was that mother on the front page, I'd strap on a TNT vest and take a little stroll through Chechnya. The best martyrs are innocents.
But here in BC, I put on a movie and snuggle up on the couch with my children, holding them close and praying that I can keep them safe. At night I hold my husband a little tighter.
~~~
It's ok, in a few weeks Hollywood will make a made for TV movie about it that will dilute the effects, and we'll all move on.
No comments:
Post a Comment