I had a really great weekend, so there is lots for me to write about :) I hope I can get it all down before the kids wakeup.
Saturday we took the kids to Goldstream to visit Gramma and Randy at thier campsite. Liam really liked walking around looking for bugs and mushrooms :) Later that night, Mom and Sylvia tag-team babysat (Mom couldn't stay all night as she had to catch a flight on Sunday). Dan and I went to his staff BBQ. My big contribution was 70+ jello shooters, that I had made on Friday :)
At first I was a little worried that I wasn't going to enjoy myself. Dan has a short attention span for me at most social events anyways, but he was kind of the "host" for this one (being the social rep. and all) so I was spending long periods standing and being uncomfertable. I'm just not up to snuff with my office gossip and banking jargin. Eventually as the night wore on and the jello shooters got downed the conversation turned to "how much beer can you chug" type coversation which just annoyed me. I slipped into the house and checked out our hosts (Helga and Jim's) bookshelves. I was pleasently surprised to find the Dark Paladin series as well as a few others that we all have read recently. As well as medieval literature, antique Nancy Drew books (yellow and older grey covers), tarot decks tucked into spaces, pagan "sourcebooks", and at least one book that wasn't even written in our alphabet...it was ogham (runic).
Now this was more up my alley :) Helga is an SCA person, as well as an artsy type, and I really enjoyed hanging out in a quiet corner with her and Jim. At one point we were discussing fiction, and she told me that she goes to the library and finds her fiction on tape. That way she can listen to it while doing housework, thus making housework less boring. I've decided that this is genius, and I'm going to go pay my late fine today and see what tapes are availible.
~~~
Liam has Busy Bees today at JDF Rec Center so I'll swing in to the library while he's there. The other thing I need to do is get a criminal record check done, which I'm a little worried about...not because I'm a criminal, but because I don't want to have to pay $75 to volunteer for my kids' playgroup. Volunteering is manditory btw. I'll let you know how it goes :)
~~~
P.S. As I was looking for the link to the SCA, I came across this picture.
Cute aren't they?
2 comments:
Paying $75 to do a mandatory volunteer thing sounds kinda silly...maybe it's just the 'starving student' mentality still ingrained in me :)
It kinda reminds me of when my parents would put us through hockey...hockey was however many hundreds of dollars a season, and then every parent was required to volunteer x many hours to run the concession! What ever happened to the days when volunteers were welcomed?
Although...I guess they want to make sure that the volunteers to be working around children are not abusers, black market baby sellers and worse...
not that cute, would you believe I still am wearing/fighting in that jacket. Bout time to replace it.
b
Post a Comment