Monday, July 12

I have a lot of pent up writing to get through this morning...3 or 4 different posts right now :) Usually I forget what I want to say by the time my computer finally boots up...So I've started taking notes whenever an idea pops into my head.

~~~

There are a lot of deer living in my neighborhood. It isn't unusual for me to spot a few of them as I delivery newspapers in the mornings. In fact it's an odd day when I don't. Yesterday I was crossing a large property near the end of my route. The yard is mostly a rolling field (or lawn I guess since it's manicured), with a gravel driveway that cuts through the middle running downhill. The house sprawls at the bottom of the yard surrounded by flowerbeds. The whole thing is probably 4 acres.

Anyways, there is usually a herd (or whatever you call them) of deer grazing somewhere around this area. They have become so used to me now that they'll just look up when I walk by, no further away then a car length sometimes. So I was non-plussed when I walked through the yard yesterday, and was approached by one of them. She walked directly towards me, ears straight up, tail down and stopped just out side of my comfort zone. I said good morning, and kept walking and looking at her.

When I reached the house I looked over again and was shocked...Right next to the path where I had been walking a little fawn stood up. It couldn't have been more then a month old. The mom had hidden her baby, and when she saw me coming she ran distraction until I got past it. I'll mention again, this was in the middle of an open field that was very well mowed. I had no idea it was there.

Nature is an amazing thing isn't it?

No comments: