So after yesterday's post about taking a philosophy course (and the responses I got from it) I started thinking about school again. At the moment it seems like my life is on hold, waiting for the kids to hit kindergarten age...Really it was on hold before that too. I didn't really have any career plans, besides making money. I didn't really care what I did.
In my discussions with Dan, at the moment I'm entertaining two options...a trade like welding would be good money, and I'd be physically fit..Both pluses. However I might not enjoy it for very long (I too have the "Oooh shiny!" syndrome). Option two is a travel agent or air stewardess...The pay is average but you can't beat the perks. However I don't see that as a long term position either.
I had dismissed any English related careers out of hand. Mostly because everyone I knew with an English degree a few years ago were having problems finding work. There are a few benefits to a career let's say as a journalist. For one, I could start the training right now. Camosun has an upgrading program that can be taken on a drop-in basis. I could go in on Mondays when Dan is home to get any help I needed. For another, I've discovered that I really like writing. This blog has done wonders for my communication skills. English is such a broad field, I could run the journalism or columnist gambit, or wander around in advertising. Who knows, maybe I'll try my hand at fiction. I could even justify taking theology and philosophy courses.
I guess my point is that it's something I would actually enjoy doing. My next step is to discover a cost for my madness ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment