Tuesday, August 10

In this day and age...(rant alert!)...

It is inappropriate for kids to be hyper, teenagers and pregnant women to be hormonal, and adults to be depressed. So instead there are pills to solve all of that...except now after 20 years "they" are finding out that these pills may cause even greater problems then the ones that they cure.

Mental illnesses are hereditary in my genepool, and I myself have dealt with bouts of depression since I was a kid. However, I went through a period of clinical counselling and learned to spot the signs early. I surround myself with supportive and understanding people, and I assert myself where I can to deal with my problems. I don't take pills, but I know that others aren't as able to control it as I am.

I don't believe that pills will solve the worlds problems. 50 years ago people didn't take pills to feel good about themselves. I'm not sure what they did...but apparently the world wasn't as stressful back then to begin with...at least according to those emails you see going around.

Things like

payingbillspoliticsatwookgoodgradesamIfatWARidiotpoliticiansglobal
warmingreligiouspersicutionmilitaryspendingchildrenshealthand
safetypregnancybeingalonefearofcommitmentfearoffailureDECIDE
whattodowithyourlifestudentdebtTIMEforyourselftimeforyourfamily
timetogetworkdoneinholidaysseasonchristmaspresentsovereating
weightlossexercisenotenoughsleepamIcoolschoolbulliesgunsinschool
povertyclearcutloggingoverfishingtariffsandmadcowandsickchickens
andgroundupprostitutesinporkchemicalsonyourveggitablesand
expensiveorganicshormonesinplasticfailingjusticesystemgangsjumping
peopleunsafeinyourownhomepedifileswalkingfree.....etc

can't be solved with a pill. Some of them can be solved by smart people sitting down with a pen and piece of paper...not thinking of themselves, but about solving the worlds problems...and then implementing solutions. It's either that, or bomb the place and start over ;)

When I was pregnant with Liam there was a lot of stuff going on in the world. 9/10 was the day I found out I was pregnant. I woke up the next day to a helicopter crashing into the Pentigon. THE PENTIGON. That doesn't even happen in movies, the Pentigon is the ultimate power for good or evil. Also around that time the Pickton investigation started which I followed closely.

One day while I was at work at Malatest (worp for those of you that know what that is) I was calling social service cases for serveying. One case, the guy started crying as I was asking him questions and spoke to me about killing himself...the next guy yelled at me.

I went home that night, and called in sick for the next month and a half. I lied to Dan about it, he thought I was actually working.

In the end I was busted of course, and I confessed that I was going through some major depression. The hormones from pregnancy magnified everything to be even worse then it already was of course. So I went to the doctor and saw a counsellor...just the act of admitting it made my feel so much better. But now my secret was out, professionals from all sides were pressuring me to take pills. It's the only time I've ever seen "the system" say "to hell with the child, save the mother". And I have no idea why that is. Why is it that pregnant people can't smoke, drink,eat unhealthy,take asperin,anti-hystimines or any other pills...Anti-depressents are ok, but nothing else is? They still change the way you chemically react to things...

Now they are finding out that anti-depressants cause suicidal tendencies in teenagers, and birth defects in infants. Shouldn't they already know that before they start pushing their drugs on people? Especially people who are already fragile enough.

I refused to take the pills while I was pregnant, much to the doctors dissapointment. It just seemed wrong to me to put my health first over my childs safety. I did, and do just fine without them. Sure I have mood swings, but that's the fun of being human.

It's how you learn to adapt to this screwed up planet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

just a side note on the pills during pregnancy thing -- there has to be a fine line between allowing a pregnants woman to be so depressed that she harms herself, and thus her baby, vs giving her pills that may or may not help and that (now) we know will harm the baby. Hmmmm. And just so you know, all of the doctors I talked to about crying jags, sleeping all the time, yada yada yada when I was pregnant suggested anti-depressants as an ABSOLUTE LAST line of defense -- with walks, more sleep, counselling, etc. as the things to try first. So they don't all push the drugs, happily enough! But so many of them do, and I don't understand why! (money? Naw, couldn't be! sigh...)