Sunday, May 9

Mother's Day (Warning! I'm a little emotional today!)

I want to say thank you to Randy and April for looking after Liam and Teresa last night. I'm not sure that I thanked you enough for it last night in my drunken stupor. But I really appreciated you coming out of your way to help out. You both are rising ever higher on my favorite people list, and in spite of other friends who come and go, I really hope you will be around for awhile :) I'm glad that the kids were good to you for the most part. Thank you for doing this for us. Thank you for doing this for me.

~~~

When I was younger, I saw a short skit on TV (probably on Sesame Street), where a mother wakes up on a sunny morning and finds a card beside her bed...Saying something like I love you Mom...And attached to the card was a string. The mother gets out of bed and picks up the string, rolling it up and following it along. First it led her into the kitchen where there were flowers for her, and then out the door onto the deck...(now you see that she lives on a house boat)..The string then led off the boat and onto the pier...(cue birds in the sky and rocking boats...The sound of waves)..Down the pier and around the corner.......And there sitting at a little cafe were her kids and husband(?) with breakfast waiting for her.

I know that this idyllic vision is not really practical in the real world...And I'm not really sure what I expected, but I know that breakfast will probably be whenever Liam wakes up, and whatever I make. I went to bed last night soon after R and A left at about 1am. This of course was to much protestation, Leanne wanted to visit with me some more. But I have to make the judgment call every time...I can either stay up and visit and have lots of fun, or I can be the adult and go to sleep so that my kids have someone who will make them breakfast the next day. Being an adult always wins. Dan stumbled to bed at 4am about an hour before my alarm went off. My guess is that I won't be going back to sleep today. When the kids get up I'll take the stroller and go shopping. As much as I'm a Mom, I'm also still a daughter and grand-daughter...I'm making a turkey tonight for mother's day. And I'm going to bake a mother's day cake......I really don't mind doing this at all.

But it's a far cry from the salmon fishing trip that Dan got for father's day last year.

Excuse me for a moment while I spaz out. I realize that he makes all of the money, and works hard at it. I know that he likes his play time. I know that he loves his kids. I know that he loves me. But sometimes I really wonder if he appreciates what I do. That nebulas, hard to define thing that I do. I don't bring in much money. And I'm not much fun sometimes. I yell at the kids regularly. And can be a real bitch to him as well. But I am also the energy behind the scenes. I feed everyone nutritious meals when they are hungry. I play educational games with Liam and Teresa. I'm constantly being a councilor and sounding board for Dan. I also like to have fun. I also love my kids. I also love my husband.

When I got home from the paper route this morning, Teresa was crying (freaking out really). Not a soul was awake in this house other then her.......Time to be an adult again. Put aside feeling sorry for myself, the fact that I'm hungover, running on 3+ hours of sleep, the fact that I'm sick...........Like my mother used to say "Every day is Kids Day". Time to go celebrate it.

No comments: