Saturday, January 7

Who knows? The sponge knows...

"Nuts!"

I'm playing Luxor, while Liam and Jacob are playing and watching Blue's Clues in the next room.

"What's nut's Mommy?"

"I just messed up and put the ball in the wrong spot."

"Oh"

I stop listening as he goes off describing what he sees on the screen in barely coherent toddler babble.

....."nuts not fuck"....

"What!!!"

..."cause fuck is a bad word and it's not in the dictionary and shoot is another word that's not bad that means fuck, like nuts"....



I think Dan and I have had a conversation about good and bad vocabulary and why we shouldn't use "Fuck" in conversation in front of Liam. I hadn't realized that Liam had been in the room for it. In fact I'm sure he wasn't.

Every once and a while I start to flip into the twilight zone when talking to Liam, he either knows things that he shouldn't be capable of yet or he's very perceptive and I need to really try harder to keep up to him. I wonder if some things are really picked up and understood by him or if as a child there is some sort of conscience that children are attuned to that we grown-ups have lost, along with magic and wonder.

Makes me feel optimistic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that it'll only go down hill as they start sneaking out of bed to listen in to our gaming nights **grin**

'Cause bedtime isn't as fun as whatever mommy and daddy are doing with their friends...and we all know the kind of language that pops up then!!!

Shaymus