Monday, April 4

The "Ready for anything" bag


By popular demand (Steph and Amanda both asked)Here is the list of everything I've fit into my one little makeup bag for the trip to Nepal. Feel free to comment and tell me how nuts I am, or better yet, suggest other items that I haven't thought of! All items are in travel or sample sizes as this is just to tide me over until I figure out what I can find or do without when there.

The "Ready for Everything" bag list...

- 3x Colgate toothpaste
- toothbrush
- bag of biodisposable floss pics
- mirror with stand
- 2x bungy cords
- 4 clothes pegs
- tylenol and advil
- tums
- nasel spray
- sunscreen
- water bottle with filter
- water purification pills and drops for 60 litres (will need more)
- crystal light to cover taste
- 3 small bottles of 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner
- deoderant
- 1 week, pill organizer for all the meds i'll be taking
- 4x hand sanitizers (will need more)
- face scrub for shower days
- face cleanse cloths and makeup remover
- gel bandaids for blisters
- bodyglide for same
- sewing kit
- body mist and deoderant wipes
- kleenex
- 7x soaps
- wash cloth/soap saver
- q-tips
- hairbrush
- hairpins
- tweezers and nail kit
- laundry leaves for handwashing clothes
- several packs of intimate wipes (their name for them, not mine)
- a pack of "Instead" (go ahead ask me I dare you)
- ziplock baggies
- shower cap
- elastics
- pen
- multi-tool
- solar chargers for ipod and camera

Other items that I'm bringing include a battery operated candle for night light (yes I'll need it). Ipod speakers with batteries and my camera. My ipod will be loaded with books, music and pictures of my family and maybe a Planet Earth episode since it never fails to make me fall asleep.

I don't know about you, but my hair is good for about 4 days max without being washed. Hopefully showering isn't a big deal, but if so, I'm bringing a couple of hair extensions so I can just pull back my gross hair into a bun and stick a hair scrunchies over top, looks natural, makes me happy.

Oh! and of course a towel :)

"A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to- hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with
."

2 comments:

Steph said...

Oh my goodness, I guess I'll need to start packing now.

amansuma said...

Toothpick or dental floss?
Eye drops?

Thank you thank you thank you for all the items!!

-Amanda