Just so that you know, the blogs linked to on my side bar have begum to be updated as well. Steph sounds very excited. I think I'm in a state of shock, it doesn't feel like it's really happening yet. I figure that will kick in mid-air, halfway across the Pacific Ocean.
I thought I could do a brief write up on Nepal, so that you know a bit more about where I am going.

(click for bigger map)
Nepal is a small country, that runs along the south edge of the Himalayan mountains. it has an area of 147,181 km2, which is bigger than Vancouver Island (31,285 km2) but smaller than British Columbia (925,186 km2). The guidebook that I am reading relates it to the size of the state of Wisconson. Nepal is sandwiched between the giant countries of India and China and has historical ties to neighboring Tibet.
Nepal is famous for 2 things.
1st, Mt. Everest, the tallest mountain in the world is within the country borders. People have been coming to Nepal to conquer this peak since 1885 but nobody succeeded (and many people died trying) until 1953. Two men, Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay climbed the mountain with the help of extra oxygen caches for when the air becomes to thin to breathe. Mt Everest is so high that it enters something called "the deadzone" where the temperature is so cold that it is difficult to move and hypothermia and frostbite are serious dangers. As well, the air contains 2 thirds less oxygen than we have at sea level so it is hard to get enough oxygen going to the brain. Climbing this peak is the altimate challenge for explorers and mountaineers.
2nd, Nepal is famous for it's cultural roots. In modern times, the population mostly believes in Hinduism and Buddism and this can be traced back to the begining of these religions. Nepal was once upon a time ruled by a royal family, 600 years BC as we measure time in North America, after several generations a prince was born named Siddharta Gautama. The story that I read said that wise men warned the King and Queen that the Prince should never be allowed to leave the palace or else he would be destroyed. Siddharta Gautama lived out his childhood stuck in a palace, getting everything he ever asked for. Then one day he snuck outside and when he looked around he saw the poverty and despare of his kingdom. He was so effected that he gave up his name and royal position and left on a journey to find enlightenment. He was known as Buddha.
This story is a very shallow version of what the history and religious books say and a bit of a folk tale. As my Father-in-law says, "Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story". If you are interested in a in-depth version, Wikipedia has a good collection of ideas on Buddha's life.
As well as Buddhism, Nepal has a rich cultural community. Over the centuries, Buddists have welcomed other faiths into the country and they continue to share resources and temples with Hinduism. In Kathmandu, the Hindu dieties are celebrated on thier holy days with parades and prayers. They even have a living goddess named Kumari who is just a girl around the same age as the Cubs!
Even with all of this neat history, Nepal is a very poor country. The total yearly income of an adult living in Nepal is $522 (US currency) in Canada the average is $46,215. Many families send their children out to work in factories as soon as they are able, because unemployment is very high but kids are better at working these jobs. Most of these jobs are dangerous and many kids get hurt doing them.
So I am still not sure what I will be doing in Kathmandu, but my options are working at an orphanage, in a school or at a family rehabilitation center. I am going with my mind and heart open, but will be trying to practice critical thinking so I don't get overwhelmed.
Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment