Wednesday, March 1

Behold!

Continue with the emails, I'll post more of the "conversation" as it happens. It's just easier to read through it like this than in GMail :)





Aurora puffs along the stone tunnel a few feet behind Orion Threefingers, the rogue. Her armour is heavy and she is confused.

"What in Pelor's glory are we running for???" She yells out.

The druid Shaymus is up ahead of them and the bard Kim and fighter lag behind. The Mage floated out of view around a corner minutes before.

Dismissing the bear, who is soon to return to his god's embrace, Shaymus looks back over his shoulder without slowing and yells back, "Whatever a Beholder is, Wizzbang says run...you know better than I, but has he ever ran from a foe he could beat before?"

Aurora continues to puff along (60 ft per round).

"Not that I know of!" *huff* "He's more likely to try to make nice with weaker enemies."

She looks around as they pass into the large lava filled chamber. Wizzbang isn't within sight in the large chamber since the smoke barrier is still there.

*huff* "WIZZBANG!"

From within the smoke barrier they hear a cry,
"It is a beholder, they are a difficult challenge to best. Without proper preparation we are likely to lose one potentially two member of our party. With proper preparation we may hold the loss to a single party member."

"I know the being well, it is one of the most interesting being I have ever read about, which is why I remember it so well. We can speak of this further as we retreat, I strongly suggest we retreat to the extra dimensional accommodations at the base of the hole."




Once safely inside the rope trick Wizzbang elaborates.

"Beholders are bastions of magical power surpassing, many believe, the mightiest wizards known. They have 10 eye stalks and 1 central eye each with a different mystical effect, all can be used simultaneously but are limited to how many they can bring to bear in a single direction at a single time. Effects include: Disintegrate, Death Ray, Charm Person, Charm Monster, Sleep, Flesh to Stone, Fear, Slow, Inflict Moderate Wounds and Telekinesis. The central eye projects Anti Magic in a cone."

"Sounds like a bloody abomination to nature! Surely it is not meant to live in these natural worlds...is it Demon ilk, and likely to wallow in the lava as we have seen others in these caves do? For that matter, are we safe within your space?" Shaymus peers through the entry way, "Can it see that which you summon?"

Aurora sits in a pool of sweaty leathers, her armour tossed negligently to the side. She fidgets as she tries to stretch and keep her leg muscled from cramping up.

"Antimagic huh?"

"Does the thing not have weaknesses?"

She thinks for a moment. "Did anyone get a good look around? Is there any chance that we could just avoid it?"

Shaymus: "We presume much...we know we need to find this shard...is it even contained within these caves though? Perhaps, if this beast is as dangerous as Wizzbang says, we could look to alternatives to searching every square inch of these caverns...at least until we know for certain that the only way to release the sword is through confrontation with the denizens of this place?"

Wizzbang: "We probably could avoid it, but it is likely guarding what we seek. If the devil was attempting to summon others of its ilk to retrieve the shard it was likely protected by something powerful and this beholder definitely fits that description."

Dwarf: "One other thing to consider is that the Eye itself might be contained within the beholder. It already has 11 eyes, what's one more?"

Wizzbang: "It moves slow and is not overly robust, magic is useful against it as is the use of force. It's eyes, including the antimagic effect are focused directionally. We need to kill it quickly, as quickly as possible to limit our losses. A distraction followed up by overwhelming magical/physical force would likely be sufficient to slay it without extreme casualties."

Shaymus: "True....perhaps a communion with one of our gods while we rest and prepare couldn't hurt though? Obad-Hai would wish the destruction of this abomination, and our cause is just....I shall seek guidance while we rest."

Aurora: "Well then let's speak of our options. With dragons roaming the skies, we are not going to leave by foot, but perhaps another trip out for reinforcements is in order? I'd like to let Maxis know about that situation as well, before we commit ourselves to possible death."

"Can the thing be harmed by weapons? I can protect one volunteer from the effects of this thing. If he or she can get to it before the effects are dispelled would they have a chance to destroy it with any of the resources we currently have??"

Shaymus: "Resources we have, or those we can call upon. Obad-hai would allow me to call upon his creatures to aid us in this just cause. Their power is mighty, but they are not immune to the effects of this creature."

Aurora frowns.
"That would mean sending creatures to a certain doom unless we can somehow protect them. I admit that I put humans first over animals, but that still sounds cruel. Obad-Hai is indeed generous."

"I could ask for Pelor to send help as well. Perhaps an Archon could be convinced...indeed I could beseech Kord to send willing assistance to help in this matter."

Wizzbang: "Summoned creatures are not killed, merely banished back to the plane from which they came. It is undoubtedly an unpleasant experience, hmm perhaps I should write a paper on that, but far better than one of us dying."

Aurora: "If disintegrating into dust is how they are sent back to their own plane, it's still a cruel way to go."

Orion the rogue: "you can worry about your pets if u like I'm more worried about myself...on the other hand if Pelor is more concerned about the good works a summoned animal can do versus the good works his still living cleric after a fight with a beholder can do maybe we can use summoned creatures...I'm pretty sure Pelor understands the concept of "worth""

Wizzbang: "Interesting, I would hypothesize that it would be relatively painless ... hmmm perhaps it is time I took up my initial summoning line of research again. Perhaps I could test disintegrate version bludgeoning on a variety of summoned creatures and report on the pain of the relative methods of dismissal from our plane. I would suspect banishment would cause the most pain. Regardless, it is their purpose, they come to do our bidding and are returned to their plane, with some pain if they fail. I imagine it would be quite the moral dilemma if you considered such constructs of magic beings and were worried about them being hurt ... how is it that I never see anyone ever heal these animals if such concern is given to their condition when they are returned to their plane? But I digress, I shall pursue this line of research on my own at a later time."

Aurora smiles.

"Thanks for bringing a little light into an otherwise serious conversation Wizzbang. I'm not saying that I'm against it. That is Obad-Hai's domain not mine. It was just an observation."

~Wizzbang whispers telepathically to Aurora through his familiar~
*Bah! I was serious.*
@ I Know, it was a subtle shot at
Obad-Hai. I smell another convert! @
*Disintegrate has got to be a pretty painless way to go*
*...and such flambo
uentness too! I can't wait to acquire that spell!*
@ ...I guess from the humane aspect it'll be less painful then your nasty conflagrations...@
*And for my next trick.......Dust!*


Shaymus continues to speak not noticing his distracted companions. "Obad-hai wills as he sees fit ...it is not for me to question the constructs of my god. I feel, however, that the companions I call exist beyond the material plane. Their form is not truly destroyed when it visits our realm. I enjoy the assistance and support they provide, but like elementals, they long to return to their primary plane to dwell in the forests of Obad-hai...they are truly valiant and courageous souls to answer the summons and assist as long as they do...but I digress."

Wizzbang: "Hmmm .. one of these days, I should take you to his realm. It is worth the trek."

The druids ears perk up, and thoughts of running through the 'original' forests and fields begin flooding his mind...with a quick shake of his head he starts, "Some other time perhaps...we must press on with the current situation..."


Wizzbang: "We are sufficient to overcome this monster, it is merely a discussion about minimizing casualties. We have never fought anything before capable of outright slaying two members of our party with a single attack. Sudden overwhelming force physical and magically preferably with a distraction will work, this being has no particular resiliency towards melee or magic."

Shaymus: "It was residing in the cooler caves away from this infernal area...does that mean that it chooses to steer clear of fire? Is it weakened or vulnerable to such? What of the other basic elements? Obad-hai can provide access to minions of any of the elemental planes if such will assist us..."

Aurora: "The Book of Pelor speaks of a ward to prevent instant death caused by death spells." She shudders "if only I had the foreknowledge to retain that ward before dear Lucius's death."

"I will pray to my god for knowledge of this ward and others that may protect from this creatures disabling spells. Is there anyone who would volunteer their body as a vessel of Pelor's might so that we may strike at this creature? Or should I prepare for this battle with myself in mind?"

Wizzbang: "The beholder has no abnormal weaknesses or strengths outside those listed. It is not particularly susceptible or resistant to any magic or melee attack."

Eyeing up those gathered in the dimensional space, the druid contemplates Aurora's question.

"Wizzbangs' knowledge of these things arcane has seldom shown fault. If he claims speed will be the deciding factor, then we should do all that is within our power to accommodate he, or she, ", the druid nods at Aurora," who is best able to injure the creature. Prior to witnessing his combat prowess with that chain, I would have thought it a fools' weapon...but has shown he is capable of great acts of ferocity with his chain. Perhaps you and I should do our best to fend off the Beholders' effects from his being, and increase his stature and defense?"

Aurora:"I agree, but I cannot in good conscience ask any of you to risk your life for this. I want a volunteer ready to die for the cause." She nods towards the dwarf, "Not someone who will do it out of duty. From what Wizzbang has said, it is very likely that someone will die here. While I can mostly protect the vessel, it will be fate as to whether or not they succeed in this task. I cannot order you to do this, only your faith can see you through."

Wizzbang: "Possibly, I believe it likely several of us would have perished had we remained, however with preparation we can increase our ability to withstand this creature long enough to defeat it. The interesting thing is that, if it uses its ability to suppress our magic, it suppresses its own as well and thus it can either attack or defend as it were at least in the area the cone contacts. If we do not consider this battle very carefully and we do not manage to defeat this creature very quickly then yes, the likely hood someone or someones will die increases with the duration of the battle.

Shaymus: "You say that it is subject to it's own anti-magic? How does that work with respects to flanking and approaching the creature?" Drawing a diagram in the air, "If this is the size of the warrior", drawing a circle twice the size in front of the warrior, "and this is the beholder." Pointing to the area to either side of the warrior in front of the warrior..."does this mean that it cannot use it's other magical attacks here as well?"

The dwarf sits in meditation near the back of the space. "After communing with Kord, He told me the solution to the problem. Run up and smack it with your chain REALLY hard! Repeat as necessary."

.....

Aurora sits with her mouth agape at this display of dwarven charisma...

"Ok then....

....So are you volunteering? If so, I'll pray to Pelor and Kord for the divine resources we'll need. I can be ready to go tomorrow an hour after high-sun. Is that to early for you to prepare yourself?"

She turns to Wizzbang and Shaymus, "We should collaborate in regards to our spells. I will be asking for spells and wards to increase the Kordite's prowess and ward him against enchantment and doom. Perhaps a spell to blind an eye or two, if Pelor grants me a good shot perhaps I can remove some of the threat from the anti-magic. I will also read up on an enchantment breaking aura in case we cannot disarm the creature within moments of engagement."

Aurora looks at Orion and Kim.

"What may we expect from you?"

Shaymus: "Knowing it has no particular vulnerability to one of the base elements, I will pray for assistance in the most powerful of spells Obad-Hai will grant. We have spoken of summoning support as well, so I will make certain I can call upon some allies to assist....once they have entered combat, I will beseech Obad-Hai to raise them in stature, in hopes they can endure and protect us all the longer."


"Aside from that, I can act as a backup fighter. If I embrace the wild forms granted by Obad-Hai, I too can increase my stature such that I could attack the eye, even while it is engaged with the dwarf...whilst attacking, however, I will not be able to engage in many more prayers to Obad-Hai...the situation may require more spells and less melee combat...until we engage, none can decidedly tell which."


Wizzbang: "I will be going with my old standby ... Fireball. I do have more powerful spells but it is my most reliable."


Aurora: "You of course realize that the bears will not be immune to the fire? I will lend my fire ring to the dwarf, but I will not have the resources availible to protect anyone or anything else."

"Also, I don't know about you, but I cannot move far and then cast a spell, and after casting a spell I will have little time to move again out of the way. I am worried about being out in the open and unprotected with this creature."

Kim the bard: "Perhaps if we stay near a wall, you can step out and cast and I will stay close to assist you in getting out of the creatures sight again?"

Aurora: "Hmm, that plan has merit. However this all depends on our volunteer succeeding. If he goes down we are all doomed!"

Shaymus: "I too can call down mighty columns of flame to strike at the beholder...perhaps Fireballs would be best released before my companions are within the sphere of destruction you will be causing? Once they have been increased in size, they will surely be unable to resist your magics."

"As I think through our strategy and contemplate the need to reduce the beholder to a bleeding mass as fast as we can, I may well call upon the likeness of my companion (read: summon tigers). Their normal instincts for hunting prey rely on taking the creature down with a pounce early on, maiming it early so it cannot run. Not that we are concerned about the retreat of the beholder, but surely two large tigers pouncing on it at the same time may cause it pause."

Aurora lets out a relieved sigh.

"That sounds as though it would even the odds a little. And I believe your tiger has great reflexes, I don't doubt his brethren would as well. That would be an asset I'm sure. However, what about their loyalty to you? Can't the beholder control animals as well as people?"

Wizzbang: "Be concerned about the retreat of the Beholder, it is a sentience creature and aware of its strengths and limitations. Should we surround it, it would be able to bring all its eye stalks to bear. It also has the ability to fly which means we have to consider vertical as well as horizontal planes for tactics."

Looking to Wizzbang, Shaymus begins, "You say this beholder has the means of charming people and monsters...surely that does not include naturally occurring creatures of the prime material plane?" Looking back to Aurora he continues, "The tigers would gladly throw themselves at the beholder if so bidden...their loyalty is unquestionable in that regards. They would not be as pliable if we were facing something more unnatural, such as undead though."

Wizzbang: "It can charm anything not resistant to such things, including your summoned creatures."

Shaymus: "It would be most unfortunate to have our companions fall upon the rest of the party." Looking to the cleric, "You have protected us from charm spells before...is there anything in your repetoire to assist us again in this?"

Wizzbang: "We must consider it. However, I believe our best plan of action is to focus on killing it as thoroughly and quickly as possible."

Kim pipes up "My song "The Battle of Glimergene" has been accaimed for it's anticharm cadenza, but it will not be proof against it for certain."

Shaymus turns to the bard: "Your song of honour and courage seems to bolster my confidence in battle, young bard. Perhaps you could sing of our exploits on the morrow, providing us again with the necessary confidence to overcome this foul creature?"

Aurora: "I am able to undo all enchantments in the area. However that will include beneficial effects as well. If the summoned stay within two arms reach of the fighter, the effects of one of the protective auras on him will ward them. however they will need to be of a good morality or they will not be able to aproach him closer then two arms reaches."

Shaymus: "The nature of the beast does not come from any sense of 'morality' like those that we place upon ourselves. They will kill if they need to, or leave alone when it would place themselves in peril. They are far from evil, but they do not understand the sense of 'duty' we place upon ourselves as righteous defenders. The sheer speed and ferocity of a hunting Tiger would be our best approach then. In the event that they are brought under the control of this creature, I can attempt to reason with them. Knowing in advance that this is a potential threat, I will prepare myself to speak with animals even when in my human form."

Aurora: "Then I will prepare a smaller version of the ward and protect only the fighter without an aura. That will help your beasts mobility as they move about the area."


Shaymus: "If we must consider a vertical retreat, I could call down the ceiling upon it, miring it in a thick mud cascade from above. Does it have arms to dig it's way out of such? Or would it be able to fly out? If so, I could then attempt to encase it in the mud as it hardens into stone...but that will severely limit my ability to call upon my natural allies. We know that there is no natural susceptibilities that the Beholder has to any element, but is there anything we three can do to curse the Beholder with a weakness? Can we make it susceptible to fire?"

Aurora: "I don't expect that I will have the time to cast but 1 spell on the beholder. Blinding one or all of it's eyes is my first choice. I could also try to curse it, although useing my divine right to do so is against my nature and makes my blood curdle. It woull decrease it's ability to strike out and it's ability to shrug off the effects of spells, as well as causing other minor afflictions. There is another, even more despicable spell, at my desposal. However I would need to be close enough to touch it. Perhaps Wizzbang knows of this spell, or knows a way to deliver it, but I really don't see any reason why it would work......"

Aurora thinks for a moment, "I could theoretically do this, but it will take 2 spells, another volunteer, and a lot of Pelor's forbearance."

"To be honest, I would prefer to stick to the blinding spell. It does require me to draw power from the negative plane, but I think I can justify that against a floating eyeball."

Wizzbang: "What do you have that delivers a massive amount of targetted damage at range? Blind does not fall under the kill it as quickly as possible scenario. I strongly urge you use a spell like flamestrike."

Aurora: "There is wisdom to what you say. But if we can't take it in 1 round the value of having any of those eyes disabled is huge. I will cast flamestrike on the first round then, but ALL enchantments will be dropping on the second round if the battle is not over. The chances that one of us will be asleep, afraid, under its control or dead are big if it doesn't go down."

Shaymus: "Flamestrike...I know it well...Obad-Hai smites the enemy with fire so powerfully, that the very air swept up in the flame column seems to crush the life out of them...rest assured I will prepare myself with as many as I am able. We should allow for the eventuality that we may have to attack this creature multiple times, however. So do not hope that our first barrage of spells and spears will be enough to fell the beast...once we have engaged, I feel we will have to continue doling out punishment until it drops...even if one of our own falls first. On that note, will you prepare a spell to bring back a fallen comrade, in the event of disaster? I can request it of Obad-Hai, but there are no guarantees that Obad-Hai will return the spirit to the original form, once it has been damaged."

"Calculated risk of taking on a difficult opponent. You speak of blinding an eye though...what certainty could you give, that you would blind the worst eye, or an eye that it would be using to attack us with? I'm unfamiliar with your spell, but perhaps your god could provide you with more guidance? Your suggestion does have merit, but only Pelor could guide your aim, and answer your call."

Wizzbang: "Why do you assume that blinding one of the eyes disables it? Let us assume that you are correct and it does disable one, of the 10 smaller eye stalks, the creature can only focus 3 of them at a person at a time. So if you blind one, and which one will it be, does it really affect anything when it can just bring an alternate to bear? If we make the decision to kill it as quickly as possible then that is what we must focus on, while still have contingency plans available should we fail. Those contingency plans should include escape (us) and containment (it) options. Blindness is a great idea, but it fits in an alternative tactic I think."

Aurora: "I do not know what effect blindness would have on this creature, but in seems to me that on a creature that has few weaknesses... the fact that it's a floating eyeball might be a weakness in and of itself."

Shaymus: "Wizzbang says it is slow, but powerful...perhaps that too can be turned to our advantage. Sincethe stone covering this cave has been lifted, any minor breeze that reaches us could potentially be forced down the tunnels to buffet the creature while we move into position..."

Aurora: "We are counting on the element of surprise here not air :) If we do that, then it will know we are coming for sure."

Orion: "I will be fairly useless if I cannot sneak up on it...I do have a few other tricks up my sleeve though."

Dwarf: "Actually you might have a very important job. You need to find the fucker before he finds us."

The Kordite winks solemnly, "Not being surprised by Mr. Big Eyes has to be worth at least one life"

Shaymus: "We have already lost the element of surprise. We are now looking to try regain that if possible, and make the battlefield one of our choosing."

Orion: "Glad to know you’re willing to spend mine in that fashion...
...But I’ll be more than happy to scout for it…that being said..keep in mind that a good chunk of his fodder got blown up by us so the beholder being “on guard” is all but definite.

"Also..the beholder will have time…just like us to prepare for the oncoming battle..we should very much prepare for a large chunk of fodder to be present... With Aurora there to turn them to dust, undead will be no prob..but she’ll have to be well out there to do something like that which means a target for the beholder."

"May I suggest an alternative plan …peek…BOOM..run and then attack at a local of our choosing – elsewhere in the room..down the hall if we can get it there whatever.

"If there's no way around that: just by way of saying..all our prep is for the one creature...lets not totally make our spell lists out for just one creature."

Aurora: "Undead will not be a problem. I am proficient with my ability to turn undead and am able to do it with out breaking stride." *shrug* "It doesn't even effect my ability to spell cast at the same time anymore."

"Indeed Sir ThreeFingers your skills at paying attention and knowing your surroundings will be a great asset. If the beholder gets to us before we get to it, it may drop all of the enchantments cast before battle and effect our ability to magically deal damage to it. Or worse, find us defenseless wandering in the corriadors leading up to it's lair."

"I know I asked once before, but did you notice anything in the area it was in? Were there any other exits or any pitfalls we should be aware of?"

Orion: "There was what seemed to be a path leading away from the area where the beholder was." Orion sketches out a rectangular area with two exits at the top. "Behold my mapping skills in its graphical excellence!" He points to the "exit" in the north west of the rectangle "This is where we came in..." he points to the "exit" in the north east of the rectangle. "Here's a possible exit."

Kim pipes up "Wow! did you go have to go to art school to learn to do that?"

Aurora says: "So then it is likely you are correct that the creature is no longer in the same place. I doubt it would sit there unprotected, waiting for us to kill it."

Here is how I am seeing this go down.

Before battle we will need a scout, possibly two. Too sneak ahead and find the beholder. I say two because if they spread out down the tunnel with one person taking point and signalling back to another (that person in turn letting us know...)Thats one distance further away and 1 minute more that we can be getting ready.

As they scout and we walk Shaymus and I will be casting our longer lasting enhancement and ward spells on the dwarf.

Once the thing is spotted we can get into position for whatever awaits us (lets say the signal can let us know, or use of telepathy).

Shaymus casts his wind spell and summons his pets, I complete casting my enhancements and we send them in. I find a defensive place to cast from, Kim sings.

Before the warriors engage, we set off our offensive spells on the creature.

If the thing doesn't drop from the first onslaught then I am ready to back us up with anti-enchantment or further buff spells. If it has more friends, then a few area effect spells, turn undead and the enhancements already in place will have to hold them until the beholder drops. If he has greater allies then we are in trouble and need to retreat to safety and re-evaluate again. The fighters need to hit the creature from the same direction. Flanking it will cause more problems then we can deal with..The only thing that I can't reverse besides turning to dust, is being turned to stone, It is by Pelor's will that that won't happen.

Anyone have anything else to add?"

Orion: "Slap an invisibility spell on me and I’ll scout ahead.
Me and then the dragon as relay network would work"

Wizzbang: "Please remember that casting a spell is generally not a particularly quiet action and sound carries in caverns. If we are expecting to catch this creature by surprise, casting near it is not likely a good way to accomplish this."

Aurora: "How do you recommend we get around that? We also have two people in plate armor. I could silence us, but then no spells can be cast as most of mine are verbal."

Wizzbang: "A very good question, to which I unfortunately lack an answer. I have yet to replace my rod that allows me to cast silently that being a somewhat lower priority in my item replacement plans."

Orion: "Maybe a silence spell ahead of the main group?…or get the psuedodragon to carry a stone with the silence spell on it?" Orion sketches another scene in the air. "There would be me scouting….the dragon with silence …..then the party clanking and casting all the way."

"Telepathy wouldn’t be affected so we can still stay in contact.
That way, for a low power spell we can accomplish what is needed..get the loud people closer that would normally be possible."

Aurora: "The silence suggestion has merit. Would Bob assent to preforming as a scout and as a silence buffer?, I believe his telepathy would still work. And by useing a small stone, he could drop it and fly away if he needs to. If the creature has recruited any allies that cast spells or use sonic that might also be a good spell to have hanging around.""

1 comment:

Sylentlucidity said...

For anyone ready this who has no clue why I'm talking to myself like this...

This is an email conversation that Dan's D&D group are roleplaying out. We are preparing for a battle against a creature called a beholder, which will kick our butts if we aren't ready for it.