Friday, October 22

Hijack this!

So after scouring the internet for a solution to my virus woes, I finally found a solution that I could handle on my own :) For anyone else that has to deal with this "about:blank browser hijack" here is what I did. If you find that it won't work as noted, try it in safe mode.

1. Download reglite

2. install it and run it, enter HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\\AppInit_DLLs into the address bar.

3. Click AppInit_DLLs, if the bottom textfield named value contains a .dll file ;
then this is the hidden file you need to get rid off.

4. You should not be able to delete this file if you try to clear the value field,
IMPORTANT: take at note of the path and name of the .dll file.

5. Rename the Folder windows to NOTWINDOWS highlighted as a purple folder in the left hand pane of reglite.

6. Click AppInit_DLLs again and clear the value containing the .dll and ok it. This should have removed the .dll

7. Rename the windows folder back to its original name "Windows".

8 next step will be to remove this dll file so make sure you have it noted down.

9. Click Start-> run and enter cmd

10. This will open a command window I will assume you have a basic knowledge of DOS if you have any problems at this point just write back I will outline the commands.

11 type dir *.dll and locate the dll name

12. Go to the system32 folder and type attrib -r "nameofdll".dll

13. type del "nameofdll".dll

14 type dir *.dll and locate the dll name the dll should now have been removed and will not be listed.

15. Download and run spybot and CWS shredder
http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

16. restart computer in safe mode and run these programs again, just to make sure all traces are gone.

17. Boot up pc as normal and you should be trouble free.

If it falls apart on you at steps 11 & 12 because you can't detect the .dll or it won't give you access, restart in safe mode, copy the .dll from the system32 file into a new folder on your desktop, right-click properties and click the read-only box. Now delete it and empty your recycling bin.

~~~

I really like the CWShredder and spybot programs, I also downloaded a start menu analizer and anti-hijack program from the same sites. Hopefully that'll keep me clean for awhile.

No comments: